Doodles in the margin from an artist living and working in the Scottish Borders.

Monday 28 February 2011

Music on Monday: Band Substance

Whenever my friend Colin and I would get together and I was drinking more than I do these days, it was inevitable that two things would happen; a lot of red wine would get consumed, and at about two in the morning the Band's 'Last Waltz' DVD would come out. So this song in particular has a lot of very good, if a bit hazy, memories for me and gives me a particularly warm feeling, as it was Colin who introduced me to The Band in the first place.

Judged on its own merits, though, this is a 24 carat piece of bespoke hand-tooled teak-oiled magnificence in its own limited edition presentation case. The Weight is one of Robbie Robertson's finest compositions, and in this version the Staples' contribution runs through it like a vein of ore. It still puts the hairs up on the back of my neck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails