Doodles in the margin from an artist living and working in the Scottish Borders.

Friday 25 February 2011

It's a Sign




I made a sign for my half of the table for fairs, seeing as Laura has a large eye-catching sign and I don't. Well, I still don't, but it is a sign.

I spent a lot of time mulling over the font and came to the conclusion I'd really like it to be Gill Sans, same as on my website. I couldn't really just paint it successfully, I thought, but as I was staring at the piece of driftplank it occurred to me that it would look good if the letters were cut into the wood. I pricked out the outline of the letters, and scratched a guideline. I was going to use a chisel to cut but used my linocut burin set instead, as the u-shaped graver proved more controllable. I painted the letters in with acrylic. I think it looks quite smart, considering it's hacked out of a plank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails